Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas 2013

Where exactly did the past six months go? This year has been a whirlwind, although as I think about it, most years seem to be that way. Even though I have failed to update the blog for the past semester, I would be sad if I didn't give our yearly update. So here is what we've been up to out here in good ol' Lafayette. 


Joe has been loving work at Summit Integrated this year. He has been managing projects across the country for all shapes and sizes of churches. You can find him sleeping off his long nights or working on his RC Car in the little bit of spare time he has. He can disappear for hours on his mountain bike and loves the fact that I can't keep up with him. We managed only a few trips camping this summer but put some nice marks on the 4runner off-roading. 

I have been thoroughly enjoying my job as stay at home mom. Although I'm not sure that title really suits the scope of responsibilities I've taken on this year! I have been homeschooling Barrett along with taking care of one of the coolest little boys around a few days a week. We have found an amazing rhythm and get outside as much as possible. You're likely to see pictures of the kids hiking in the mountains or parading around Colorado on field trips. I have also found a great niche in volunteering in the toddler rooms at church.  I still love to sew and knit and crochet along with bake an excessive amount of sugary treats.  We adopted five backyard chickens from my sister in law and the bulk of responsibility tends to fall on me. Those girls can be quite temperamental but we are figuring it out together. I can official call myself a runner this year- finishing a handful of 5k's, 10ks and one half marathon. I'm looking forward to what the next year will hold. 

Barrett is been every bit of know-it-all charmer that he always has been. He started Kindergarten and attends a homeschool enrichment program once a week. He is enjoying all of the small freedoms he is gaining. He hates to have to stop a project mid way through- which at times can be quite a challenge- but I am thankful we are able to homeschool and he can finish an entire chapter book in a day if it suits him. Or a lego project. Or looking for dinosaur bones in the backyard. We are working on switching gears with more finesse. He is in the middle of his second year on the piano and is very excited to play his first "turn the page song" this month. He realized he wasn't as much a fan of soccer as he is of rock climbing and running. He even finished his first 5k this year! He is a few weeks shy of six and I'm amazed at how fast the time as gone. 



Indie is every ounce of two year old girl that you can get. She is strong and confident and loving and kind. And a handful. Maybe two. Someone once said she has my personality and Joe's filter. I'm pretty sure that's as accurate as you can get. She LOVES to be outside. You can find her peeing in the woods right next to the boys. She gets extremely frustrated with the computer and you can find her hiding under any number of tables with my phone most days.  She loves to do "school" and keeps me on my toes.  She is also my resident artist. The walls in our house can attest to that! That girl will find any possible writing implement and use it on everything BUT paper. We even made her a corner in the house to "create" but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I'm enjoying watching her grow into quite the big girl and excited for what three will look like for her.




We are starting our newest journey of pursuing foster care certification this year. Our hope is to adopt, but we are excited to work with Boulder County and their 360 program. They work very hard at getting families back together and we are excited to see what that looks like. We hope to build relationships and provide a safe place for little ones for however long they need. It will be a long journey to certification and an even longer journey with the little ones- but we trust that God will surround us through it all. 

Merry Christmas! 

I wish that I could take you all out for coffee and hugs and laughter and tears. 

-Lauren (and the rest of the Jones clan)






No comments:

Post a Comment