Thursday, March 27, 2014

Letter to friends of Foster Parents



I have a feeling this post is going to get me in some trouble. 

A few weeks ago I had every intention of starting up this blog again. I am working through a 12-month training course in the Montessori Method.  I have so many ideas and activities that I was super excited to share. I even have a few posts saved up ready to go... 

But than last week we got the call. Apparently the county had our paperwork officially approved on Thursday morning and called Thursday afternoon with a placement. We were, in the span of a few hours, an open foster home and full foster home. 

Needless to say, everything was flipped upside down. It wasn't that we weren't ready. We have been working for over a year towards this.  It's just all the things that could possibly involve adding a new person to your home plus a half dozen county employees.  

So, now that you have some background, here is my letter to the friends of foster parents.... 

*drumroll*

Dear Friends of Foster Parents, 

I know that this seems like an exciting time. I know you have a whole lot of questions. I know that it seems very odd to you. Or seems very amazing. Or crazy. Or something.  I'm sure we have talked about this at some point. That's why you know why I have an extra kid strapped to my chest. I was obviously not pregnant the last time I saw you. 

I would love to answer your questions. I just can't. I can't give details. I can't talk about his parents. I have to protect his privacy and I need mine protected as well. I'm sorry. 

I would love to talk to you about Foster Care. I am just too tired. If you set up a time to talk, I would love to do that. But in the middle of the day while I'm trying to chase down my other kids, probably not such a great idea.  Go open up a new browser and search for your county foster care program. Read it. 

There. Questions answered. 

"I could never let someone go" is not helpful. I have today with this little guy and I will love him to the best of my ability- today. I cannot control tomorrow. I am not super mom. I will have a hard time letting go.  We decided to run headfirst into this. We will allow God to carry us through. 

And most importantly, please do not look at this little one with pity. He is not something to be pitied.  He is not a face for your bleeding heart.  These kids have been through more than you could imagine and they deserve your respect. So respect them. Admire them. Lift them up and give them a chance to succeed.  



-a newly fledged Foster Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment