Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fractions

I feel as though I've been slacking a little on posting. It was spring break last week for the public schools and my kids found out about it- so we had a little bit of homeschool mutiny. 

"It's spring break!"
"But you still have to do some school!"
"BUT it's spring break!"
"alright..."

Turns out I really needed a break too! It's always good to take a bit to reevaluate what you are working on or haven't had a chance to do yet this year. 

Enter: Fractions! Hooray!?! 




I really liked how Fractions are introduced in the Montessori at Home ebook. The third edition just came out so check it out!

I cut out and laminated the circle and square fraction cards. After showing them briefly to Barrett I asked him what each one was. Turns out he already knew most of them. SO we went on to looking at volumes and seeing what 1/4 cup looks like, 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup and 1 cup. 

Another download I have been eyeing are these Fraction Cards and Labels at Montessori Print Shop.

Here is a free version from Have Fun Teaching: Fraction Flash Cards


I was excited to see him initiate adding them together (that was going to be the next step...) Some questions we went over:

What happens when you add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup?
Is it the same as 1 cup? 
How would we make 1 cup if we had 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup. How about 1/2 and 1/2. 
How many 1/4 cups are in 1 cup?
How many 1/4 cups are in 1/2 cup? 

We also talked a little bit about terminology- he kept saying 1 and 1/2 cup for 1/2 cup instead of one half of a cup. 

Extensions:
cutting up apples, pizzza, pie
making pancakes from a recipe. (i give him a 1/4 cup measuring cup so he has to add up to whatever the ingredient is)






No comments:

Post a Comment